Magazine gone...web site informative?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine gone...web site informative?

Ok, I hate to open this can of worms again, but I think we have given the smoke enough time to clear.

I was under the impression that when the magazine went away, we were going to see articles, features, etc on the web site. Kind of like an "on line" magazine. I think all we are getting is this forum.

So, when it comes time for me to renew my membership for WWC, what will I be getting for my membership dues? Access to an on line forum?

WWC events come to my area of the country maybe once every three to four years. Discounted entry fees to the shows is then not a value to me.

Discount on parts? I have yet to see that on any orders, plus the on line store is one of the worst to shop. I purchased some parts while at the Detroit Anniversary show and when they arrived, they had obviously been used. I sent them back following th proper procedure over three weeks ago and I have heard nothing. So that adds no value to my membership.

So why should I renew my membership to WWC?

Can someone bring us up to speed form the Ecklers side on how our club is progressing and how Ecklers is improving service to it's club members?

Thank you for your time.
    Rick

Re: Magazine gone...web site informative?

I have noticed the "tech articles" appear about once a month.

Maybe there shouldnt be a paid membership. How about if your a paid participant in a show you automatically become a member that last 1 year from the date of the show. Because your most likley to attend the show you did the year before. Then when the next year comes around you just put you membership number in the system with the registration fee and bam you re-upped. Maybe even a discount to the following show since you a "loyal member"

Then that entitles you to your cataloge discount. And maybe how about some e-mails special or secret discounts. That maybe would encouage folks to come to the shows and pay to enter.

Or you could do a one time fee like the SSOA then your a member for life as long a you own a Camaro?

Just a thought...
    Last edited by MikeCio1; 09-22-2007, 10:48 AM.
    Mike C
    1967 Camaro RS
    WWC Member

http://www.facebook.com/MikeCio1
    www.fquick.com/mikecio1
    sigpic[

Comment

Those are some good ideas Mike. The current situation will not work.
      I compare to other car organizations I belong to like GoodGuys and NSRA.
      I think the all mighty profit $$ drives what Ecklers does and keeping and growing members is left to the members with zero support from Ecklers.

If it were my company, I would assure the current members would have a magazine they could call their own. I would advertise in publications such as Super Chevy and Hi Performance Chevy. I would provide the State Reps with materials and tools you could use at local car shows to gain additional members. I would assure that Ecklers had a strong presence at most Super Chevy Shows.
      I would learn from my competition such as Summit, Jegs, Year One, Classic Industries and understand why their internet business is so successful and build on that. I would make sure that the team I have working for me was happy and made them a part of decisions. I would take the time to thank each of the members for being loyal and helping the company grow. I would offer an open ear to listen to concerns and suggested improvements and implement the ones that make sense for the customers.

I am curious on how everyone else would run Ecklers. I think I will start a thread and get everyone's feedback. Heck, if Ecklers won't ask us what we think, I will. Hopefully the "powers that be" on this forum will forward those ideas to Ecklers.
      Rick

Comment

Just one point (for now). I raised the question a short time ago regarding membership fees and what do you get for it.
        The answer I got, but was never confirmed, is that since there isn't a magazine, there will not be a fee. I believe that those of us who are dedicated, will 'plug along', but I gotta say, we seem to be on shakey ground. Communication and Leadership are absolutely essential!

Comment

I agree they should be giving state and local reps tools to help start and build clubs. Maybe design some kind of starter club kit.

I wound up joining a local car club that was a Mustang club looking to expand its about 20 mustangs 1 camaro (me) 1 Firehawk, 1 "74 Duster. They are a good group of guys but I do take some abuse (all in fun) but get tired of it.
          I did shut them up when we had a dyno day and me and the Firehawk guy spanked them all

The point is I expressed an interest to start a club here and couldnt get participants, I asked Thomas to send me a list from there catologe recipiants so I could do a mail out and he said he couldnt do it (privacy issue). He said he e-mailed them all or did something to have them contact me but no one ever did.

I guess the question is do they want to be a "club" or a retail outlet for parts that sponsors shows?
          If they want to be both more effort should be put into the club part... Maybe think about one of my suggestions
          Last edited by MikeCio1; 09-22-2007, 10:47 AM.
          Mike C
          1967 Camaro RS
          WWC Member

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
          sigpic[

Comment

Something just occurred to me. A 'big deal' about the magazine (to me)was looking forward to getting it and devouring the pics and articles. Would it make any sense to have this kind of input into this site on a regular, say once a month, basis? In other words, it would be like a magazine on the web where, instead of once in a while getting this stuff here and there, one could look forward to seeing pics and articles, say in the middle of the month, for example. I think the structure may develop a following.
            Wad ya think???

Comment

Originally posted by jimj View Post
              Something just occurred to me. A 'big deal' about the magazine (to me)was looking forward to getting it and devouring the pics and articles. Would it make any sense to have this kind of input into this site on a regular, say once a month, basis? In other words, it would be like a magazine on the web where, instead of once in a while getting this stuff here and there, one could look forward to seeing pics and articles, say in the middle of the month, for example. I think the structure may develop a following.
              Wad ya think???

I thought thats what the original plan was
              Mike C
              1967 Camaro RS
              WWC Member

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
              sigpic[

Comment

Perhaps for those of us who don't know "what the original plan was", someone could tell us.

Comment

Jim, it was my understanding the web site would be an "on line" magazine with features about cars, tech tips, etc.
                  All I see now is this forum for us Camaro guys.
                  Rick

Comment

I'll try hard to be extremely nice in my comments to this topic. First the magazine issue. It's GONE, and in none of my comments did I say that our club forum would be more than what it currently is, A FORUM. As for renewing a membership, since we don't have a magazine, we don't charge for the forum site. No, I repeat No money will be required for our WCC membership at this time. Now should we later receive approval for a magazine then you can expect to be billed for the expense of the magazine.

This magazine is an extremely sore subject with many of us, and there is no reason to beat a dead horse. We must move forward, and believe me I went to great lengths obtain permission for this forum after the magazine was killed. Can it be better?, Yes it can, with comments and assistance from all of you. Am I an expert in forum sites, NO, I do the best I can with the information and help from my IT Department making sure that we continue to have a voice throughout the country. Sure there's other Camaro forum sites, but I felt it necessary for WCC to have our own venue.

I'll say this over and over, "This is your Club Site, and I'm here only to assist you. My plate is full, and I need everyone to continue using this site to keep it alive. Many of you may not know that this is the second time we had a club forum, the first time the forum was deactivated for lack of use.

Please don't hate the messenger, I tell it like it is!

Comment

So...I guess there will be no "on line" magazine?

Yes, it is a sore subject...with the members as well. I don't feel like a "member" if the only thing we have is a forum.

It is a good example of how Ecklers (not you) does not listen to it's members. The magazine was a big deal for the members, we were and still remain very vocal about it. We are told it's gone, get over it.

Thanks.
                      Rick

Comment

Rick I was surprised that the magazine lasted as long as it did without a boost in new memberships/subscribers. We tried everything, such as putting handouts with the Camaro orders advising new customers about our magazine, state reps attending shows trying to sign up new members, and it appears that Camaro owners for the most part don't want to participate in club events or sign up for magazine/ subscriptions. We were given two years for the magazine to show a profit, and during those two years, memberships and subscriptions continue to decline. Each issue talked about value, and how to be a part of our wonderful club, but no amount of talking, or articles could entice Camaro owners to sign up other Camaro owners. I won't site printing cost and the high cost of monthly mailings, but I saw those figures month after month and we were in the Red. A decision was made, and although I certainly was not happy with it, it's something that we must live with. I'm sorry!

Comment

That is pretty much as I had expected, but it is good to hear it from 'the messenger'. My concern now is, what is going to happen to the WWC conventions. Assuming the mag. was the main source of info. for the what and where of the convention schedule, I fear for its survival.

Comment

Pass the word! The International Convention, CamaroFest are great shows! Tell all of your Camaro friends to go to those conventions! Sorry for the sarcasm. What do you what will happen to the convention? The International in Maryland had 315 55-72 Chevys..and only 40 Camaros. Classic Chevy still has a magazine. If you want the magazine, a good start would be to get some good number of Camaros at these conventions. No Camaros show up, they don't need to bother. It's not Eckler's fault if the Camaros don't come...it's our fault. They certainly do enough to let it be known that the shows are open to Camaros.

Comment

Oh, and if you get enough Camaros coming to the convention, maybe they'll sell more parts, and then maybe they'll give us a magazine back..if not, buy yourself a 55 Chevy and join a big Chevy club with a magzine...and lots of members.

Comment

Working...
                              X