PDA

View Full Version : 'Going Catless'

jimj
09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
The removing of the catalytic converter seems to be a popular (illegal) mod. Doesn't this 'screw-up' the performance giving worse vs better? For one thing it messes with the back pressure, or does the computer compensate for that? Aside from the exhaust 'stink' are there other losses. Any experts out there than can explain how this changes the performance of the car?:confused:

Camaro502z
09-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Since it's against the law in most states, many Camaro owners simply replace the factory restrictive cats with hi-flow units from companies like Random Technologies. They have articles in most performance magazines and they really flow well. (This is the legal side of the house speaking)

Now for the not so legal, many Camaro owners reprogram their computers after the removal of Cats and the installation of modified exhaust because of the increased air flow. Most of these owners that make this type of modification live in states that don't have state inspections or they use their Camaros for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. So a word to the wise, if you have state inspections, or emissions testing in your state, DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CATS!

Sorry, we tell it like it is on this site. Now, you have the ball!

MikeCio1
09-07-2007, 02:27 PM
From what I have seen is that if you remove the cats and dont replace them with the high flow cats...depending on your exhaust it can be too loud w/o the cats. And if its too loud in your car when your driving down the road it takes away from the car.

Camaro502z
09-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Too Loud.... I've never heard (Pun) such a thing. It's too loud if buildings start to shake, and the filling in your teeth start to rattle. There's nothing like the sound of a Chevy motor period, end of story. Build them fast, make them loud, and keep them pretty. Can you say CAMARO!

MikeCio1
09-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I dont need track type sounds coming from my car on the street...

I leave the loud obnoxius noises to those middle aged Peter Fonda wanna bees on those dumb Harleys...

jimj
09-10-2007, 09:42 PM
True, true... Ah hears ya Mikie:)

Camaro502z
09-11-2007, 08:43 AM
So you don't like the sound of a sweet big or small block rumbling at a stop light, the only exhaust sound that I dislike is the loud mouth exhaust system, but again that's my opinion. I perfer the sound of flow master mufflers, but that's my taste, but I've heard great sounding Borla's it's all relative to the individual and what he or she perfers. That's what makes our hobby so special. If you like quiet, stay away from Orlando during the week of October 25 thru 28 because the baddest Street Cars in the country will converge in our area for the biggest Street Car show in America. Stay away from Hooters the evening of 25 October, because quiet mufflers will be no where to be found. It's going to be wild!

MikeCio1
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
So you don't like the sound of a sweet big or small block rumbling at a stop light, the only exhaust sound that I dislike is the loud mouth exhaust system, but again that's my opinion. I perfer the sound of flow master mufflers, but that's my taste, but I've heard great sounding Borla's it's all relative to the individual and what he or she perfers. That's what makes our hobby so special. If you like quiet, stay away from Orlando during the week of October 25 thru 28 because the baddest Street Cars in the country will converge in our area for the biggest Street Car show in America. Stay away from Hooters the evening of 25 October, because quiet mufflers will be no where to be found. It's going to be wild!

Didnt say that, I am talking about an open headers sound for daily street use...

And BTW "scooter" I have a loudmouth system and when we had Dyno day I thought mine sounded the best, and lots of folks came up to me and said the same thing :p

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=14078625

..and post the info on the 10-25 event please

gorin002
09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
does he wants a rice car sound ?