PDA

View Full Version : Interior Paint

dmfrazee
09-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Hello,
I'm redoing a 1979 Camaro Z28 interior. Can anyone tell me where I can get the paint to match. All replacement parts come in black. My interior is Tan Camel. Plus can you tell me good place to get new tail lights?
Thanks,
Don

Jim Kirk
09-28-2009, 09:48 AM
If your interior is faded then you will need to have paint mixed to match your faded interior. A paint shop or some part stores can mix paint up. Since I have a black interior I have not had to find a place that sells regular interior paints.

Jim Kirk
09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Tail lights are available. If Ekler's doesn't carry them you could try another parts catalog.

jimj
09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Classic Chevy / Worldwide Camaro did sell int and ext paints: Gal., qt. aerosol, touch up etc. Maybe they still do so.

2002Z4CSS
10-01-2009, 06:26 AM
I have bought many colors of interior paint/dye from NPD. :)

bigbone
10-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Don,

I just got done restoring my 1981 Camaro, I used SEM products available through NPD. I had the same problem, my interior is silver, most new parts are black. If you take your time, three or more light coats, clean (even the new parts to remove any molding waxes) with Methanol, the job will come out perfect, I used six spray cans on my interior. Afterwards, I wrote the SEM company an email telling them how great the job came out. They are using me and my car in their 2010 product catalog!!

BL

thirdandfourthgen
10-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Your car featured in a catalog, nice job! By the way, will we get to see your 81 at the Winter Nationals in Cocoa Beach?

bigbone
10-08-2009, 08:26 PM
When is it? Cocoa Beach is about 3 miles away...if I'm in town, I'm there.

thirdandfourthgen
10-08-2009, 10:15 PM
February 4 - 7, 2010 at the Holiday Inn I think.

Merrit Island, I figured it wouldn't be too far. See you there!

dmfrazee
10-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Don,

I just got done restoring my 1981 Camaro, I used SEM products available through NPD. I had the same problem, my interior is silver, most new parts are black. If you take your time, three or more light coats, clean (even the new parts to remove any molding waxes) with Methanol, the job will come out perfect, I used six spray cans on my interior. Afterwards, I wrote the SEM company an email telling them how great the job came out. They are using me and my car in their 2010 product catalog!!

BL

Did you have to use a top coat or sealent to bring back the shine?

2002Z4CSS
10-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Did you have to use a top coat or sealent to bring back the shine?

If you want a shine you can top off the painted surface with a clear that shines. Most interior parts are not too shiny. It the dash was shiny it would reflect badly into the windshield. :)

dmfrazee
10-13-2009, 01:58 PM
If you want a shine you can top off the painted surface with a clear that shines. Most interior parts are not too shiny. It the dash was shiny it would reflect badly into the windshield. :)

Thanks for the reply. The console has s shine to it. Another question did you use only met. to clean it and then spray paint?

2002Z4CSS
10-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. The console has s shine to it. Another question did you use only met. to clean it and then spray paint?

I clean any vinyl parts with a vinyl cleaner and conditioner and then go over them with thin coats of the new color. I worked in a GM dealer for many years and did a ton of dash panel and other interior panel replacements and they never seemed to come in the color I needed so they needed to be dyed. Never had a comeback either. :)