PDA

View Full Version : There were more than 3 Camaros built

2vette2camaro
08-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Okay, so who gets sick of everyone acting like the only REAL Camaro was a 67-69????? Anytime I say I own a Camaro the response is " Is it a First gen, or is it a 67, 8 or 9?" Who else has this problem? Then when you say you have a second gen "Is it a split bumper or a 70-73?" It's so bad that I almost hate to own one of these since it is the new "status" symbol.

Any thoughts?

Chris
WCC Arkansas State rep
North Arkansas Camaro Club founder and president
female drag racer

MikeCio1
08-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I am with you.
I owned a 81 (last of the 2nd gen) I loved it and repect it.
I would love to find another.

I had a 90 also...That car got lots of attention also, it may have not been a match for a 5.0 mustang but it was a way nicer looking car.

And I love my 4th looks and hp...
I hurt alot of peoples feeling with it, but they asked for it.:cool:

jimj
08-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Mine is a 4th Gen, but I love those mid to late 1980's.
With all of the Camaros at the 40th, I was disappointed that there weren't more than a few 3rd Gens. in attendance.

2vette2camaro
08-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I know you hardly EVER see any third gens. At the International Convention last year in Springfield, MO I think there was maybe one or two and maybe just a couple of late second gens. In my Camaro Club here in Harrison, we have two members who have third gens.

Mine are 78 and 79 Z's. I just wonder when everyone will realize there is more to the Camaro than the first couple of years.

Right on with the fourth gens. It really does make me want to NOT have these other cars. I LOVE the late second gens.

Chris
WCC Arkansas State rep
female drag racer

Purple 92 SS
08-24-2007, 01:47 AM
i know what you mean to an extent... problem is i have the addiction. I want one of every body style, and im only missing the second gen now.

So far though I must admit im disappointed in everyone who owns camaros not being as enthusiastic as some of us on here are.. but i digress.. down here, in SC thats not the case about the thirdgens, we have tons of first, tons of thirds and bazillions of 4ths, but finding a second gen in decent shape is hard work. especially the non 70-73's.. the 74-81s are like Mustang two's to most people, and just arent owned, and if they are they aint in good shape at all.

I've noticed about my 4 camaros that they all bear the same name, but yet, they all drive and act totally different.. generation to generation they are so vastly different its not even funny. All are worthy of being camaros though, and they all are a blast to drive. Personally one day i hope to have my 2nd gen, but until then, im going to be happy with my others that i do own.

Personally for me, the 3rd gen is my favorite. Particularly the 91& 92's.. I guess its all about what you grew up with. my car that i always thought was cool in high school, and before was the thirdgen, so thats what makes it for me. So thats the end of my rant i guess... god im incoherent sometimes.

2002Z4CSS
08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I have owned every Generation except for a 1st Gen. They are all Camaro.:)

jimj
08-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Now, can ya beat these babies for looks?;)

1969RS
08-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Same argument could be made for Belair.
They made more than just the 55/56/57.

All the generations of Camaro's are wonderful. The 1st Gen gets the attention as that is when the real muscle car battle was heating up. It is what really started the muscle cars for Chevrolet. Argument could be made that it was the 409's but in my opinion, it was 1 Gens that laid the ground work.

1969RS
08-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Just curious Chris, are you the WWC Arkansas State Rep for all Camaro's (including 1st Gen) or just anything other than 1st Gen?

Seems like a pretty harsh stance for being the state rep for all WWC.

Personally, I own two 1st Gens and I would love to own an IROC someday. I do not own the 1st Gens as a "status symbol" but because it was my first car when I was in high school. While I was in high school, my buddy bought a new IROC and I thought it was the neatest car I had seen. At that time, the IROC was a "status symbol".

Someday I will run across an IROC and I hope I will be able to park it in my garage. Not as a "status symbol" but as a love for Americana.

2vette2camaro
08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Rick,

Yes I am the rep for all Camaros, but if someone doesn't post SOMETHING, this forum like all others will go away too. Maybe I am in the minority and that is okay, I am just posting my experiences. I went to the Convention in Springfield and unless I owned a 55-57 or a first gen Camaro, most people didn't want to talk about what I owned or where my passion was. Call me crazy, just retelling my experiences. I love all the Camaros but I know by the other posters that I am not the only one who hears the same things day in and day out. Be it that maybe no one else is brave enough to get on here and post about it but I know a few brave ones so far that have.

When you are passionate about something why be unheard?

Chris
WCC Arkansas State rep
female drag racer

MikeCio1
08-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Play nice kids...
I love all camaros too, but the 1 gens seem to get more attention.
Its a shame that people have pushed prices up to 30k for an average car.
I blame the media, people watch RM or Barrett Jackson and think they have gold. These auctions are ruining the hobby for everyone. What folks dont realize is that most of those buyers are from museums or private (rich) collectors. Average Joe who should be selling his car for 15K now thinks its worth 60K leaving him stuck with a car and an enthusiast who would love and appreciate the car with nothing.

Camaro502z
08-28-2007, 08:48 AM
As all of you are aware I attend car shows all over the country year in and year out, and I can tell you first hand that Carlisle, PA has the largest mix of all generation Camaros in the country. I saw some of the nicest 2nd and 3rd Gens ever at this show. I really like third generations Camaros and my original intention was to locate one and put a nice big block with A/C as a driver. While I was at Carlisle I saw a 3rd Gen with an LS6 engine and I decided that this would be my next project car, a 92 with a powerful LS6. Camaros are Camaros and we all have the passion for these cars, because I feel that Camaro owners are special people. Anyone can own a Ford, and they know that with ownership, they must wear a good pair of shoes because at any moment they might be walking down the road.

2vette2camaro
08-30-2007, 08:47 PM
That's exactly right- it is the media and the high dollar auctions that have swayed the public's opinion about what these cars should be worth. But I digress, here in Arkansas you can still buy a super nice first gen for around $10,000 which is WAY less than I have in my late second gens. But you leave Arkansas and people are telling you that same first gen car is worth $30,000 +. I hate for all the Camaros to go into private collections and just be sitting for years. They need to be driven, they WANT to be driven. Not just the first gens but ALL of them. All of my cars are driven. My daily driver is an 81 Vette and it's sad that you don't see other people driving theirs.

Chris
WCC Arkansas State rep
female drag racer

Camlegends
08-30-2007, 09:19 PM
I love being part of the ''Camaro Cult''. I drove my 97 Z28 30th home tonight, ttops out..to unwind and enjoy the fruits of my long hard day. A 3rd Gen going opposite direction shared the same sentiment as we passed giving each other the ''Camaro wave''. That's what it's about folks, being in the ''Cult''. LOL. I love 'em all..except that goofy 4WD one a guy made in Indiana one time..LOL...but I didn't hate it..I still drive it before I drove a Mustrust.

1969RS
08-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Chris;
Hang on to your Vette and your Camaro long enough and keep it in good condition and the value will rise as well like it has with 1st Gens.
Seems like you are bashing us 1st Gen owners because you do not own a 1st Gen? That is not fair to us 1st Gen owners. :(
I made the choice to buy a 1st Gen just like you made the choice to buy your vehicles. You could have made a different choice, but you did not.
Please do not slam others for choices you made.:o

2vette2camaro
08-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Rick,

You must have misunderstood or have taken my comments personally. I am not "bashing" anyone. To tell you the truth I have owned first gen cars, my husband has owned first gen cars and my ex-husband and I have owned first gen cars. We have owned all generations and almost every year of Camaros- they are ALL Camaros just like 2002Z4CSS said. Yes, it is a matter of choice I will agree with that. I do not regret the decisions I have made and I know I would not trade my "baby" for any other body style out there.

Chris
WCC Arkansas State rep
female drag racer

Jim Kirk
08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
I do understand where some of us are coming from. I have a 1977 Rally Sport Camaro. One the Camaros with the aluminum bumper. At many car shows I have seen people closely examine the cars on both side of my car and totally ignore my car. While I would appreciate it others would at least look at my car, I didn't buy it for them. I bought it for me. I have had it sixteen years, put over 150,000 miles on it in that time and have gone to uncountable number of car shows, parades and cruise nights. Maybe someday more will stop and look at the car, but until then I will just have a blast enjoying it myself.

MikeCio1
08-31-2007, 02:18 PM
I do understand where some of us are coming from. I have a 1977 Rally Sport Camaro. One the Camaros with the aluminum bumper. At many car shows I have seen people closely examine the cars on both side of my car and totally ignore my car. While I would appreciate it others would at least look at my car, I didn't buy it for them. I bought it for me. I have had it sixteen years, put over 150,000 miles on it in that time and have gone to uncountable number of car shows, parades and cruise nights. Maybe someday more will stop and look at the car, but until then I will just have a blast enjoying it myself.

Was that the last year of alum bumpers?
I like the year where it was 2 tone with the black hood, was that 78 or 78?

Jim Kirk
08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
1977 was the last of the aluminum bumpers. I believe all Rally Sports, the two-tone era, had black roofs and black hoods until 78 or 79 when you could get more than black on top. Mine is black and white with a black interior. It is a Type LT, so it has the higher end interior.

MikeCio1
09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
1977 was the last of the aluminum bumpers. I believe all Rally Sports, the two-tone era, had black roofs and black hoods until 78 or 79 when you could get more than black on top. Mine is black and white with a black interior. It is a Type LT, so it has the higher end interior.

Then the LT turned into a Berlinetta...

I had an 81, very nice car.

2vette2camaro
09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
My first car was a 78 LT, black with a vinyl top and white interior that had been in storage for eight years so it was in excellent condition. I had that car for 15 years and finally sold it to a friend when I decided five cars was too many for me to handle. Loved it.
You really don't see that many of the 74-77 cars anymore.

Chris
WCC Arkansas State rep
female drag racer

gorin002
09-17-2007, 12:51 PM
there 1 camaro for me mighty iroc-z
ones with corvette motror and big block 350 black golden
i should be able to beat those stupid rice opels